Remove this ad

Lead

Apr 1 17 12:29 PM

Tags : :

Hi 

Clare has kindly asked me to nominate the April 2017 tasting wine. I have selected Beyerskloof Pinotage Reserve Selection 2015. We had a wonderful time at the Beyerskloof cellar door in 2015, and this one tastes just as good as we remember it. Bargain at just £7.99 (mix six price) at Majestic. Enjoy!

David
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Apr 1 17 2:47 PM

Oh I thought I had replied saying that - my post must be having a lie down haha

I have tweeted Stratford saying it's our nominated wine this morning then so hopefully they will have some in - might drop them an email too

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Apr 17 17 10:03 PM

I think I'm going to give this one a miss. I've tried lots of pinot age and do not like at all. Having said that this could be the one to change my mind!

Last Edited By: Pollygp Apr 17 17 10:13 PM. Edited 1 time.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#7 [url]

First up the initial tasting was done while suffering a bit from hay fever (tree & grass pollen gets me) so my 'nose' probably not at it's best!......

In the glass a deep opaque purple with a clear rim and goodish 'legs' - after all 13.5%.
On the nose very predominently blackberry aromas but also a sense of richness and vanilla (presumably from the ageing in French oak berrels).

A pleasant texture on the initial palate,  initially restrained but nice black fruit with structured woody but not unpleasant tannins, leading to a long very nice finish of black fruit & savoury spice. This tasting was done pretty much straight out of the bottle.
A few hours later those tannins have mellowed quite alot to give a semi-smooth but rich and intense dark fruit taste.

Quite nice and a wine whose taste exhibits some quality (which it should do if paying £10.99 for a single bottle)!

The acid test - would I buy again? .... well I think I definitely would but only if I could get the 'six mix' price when buying other wines with it.

It's a pretty nice wine - lots of blackberry fruit, good quality, and quite decent. And for a Pinotage...slightly up-market... some of the older style Pinotages can be quite 'rustic', but this one has got some class.

Good choice DAVID.

Last Edited By: BubblesFan . Edited 2 times.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Pinotage not everyones cup of tea, almost like the marmite of the wine world you either love it or hate it.
This one is very much in the I love camp, like eating plums off freshly laid tarmac.
This is full of red fruits, plums and  sour cherries, bright acidity and a little sour tasting on the finish.
Then there's the burnt rubber thing going on (appealing to me) noticeable tannins and a hit of oak.
There is also some spice and mocha but I think the overiding flavour of rubber and sourness (doesn't sound good but it works) are what this wine is all about and it's very easy to drink, perhaps a little too easy.

So a thumbs up from me and a nice unusual selection, thanks David.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Yesterday we ventured to Majestic Leicester and picked up a bottle of this Pinotage. It's not a grape we usually drink, maybe because we don't often drink Pinot Noir and this grape is a cultivated blend of Pinot Noir and Hermitage (now known as Cinsault) 

Quite a classy label, I like the darkness with just a splash of red, a great match to the wine itself. In the glass it was a deep red with a flash of scarlet highlight, unusual though as the highlight was at the bottom of the glass more than the top rim of the wine. 

Aroma wise I could instantly smell ripe sour cherries, new carpets (?), light pepper and a subtleness of blossom.

Taste wise the cherries were still there, lovely sourness but not overpowering, along with dark hedgerow fruits. Very light tannins and no oak for me, a nice final peppery tinge with a full rounded finish. Both Nick and I detected a hint of chocolate, the high percent dark chocolate with it's bitter yet sweet flavour. 

Very nice wine, thanks David, it has been added to our Majestic buying list.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help